ALL WRITE: ONLINE WRITING WORKSHOP
In lieu of our traditional spring break camp, which has been canceled as a precaution against the spread of COVID-19, we are introducing a new online writing workshop for students in grades 3-12. While we're stuck at home the next few weeks, we might as well write together!
At Badgerdog, we have a team of talented professional writers (we call them “teaching artists”) ready to take you on a trip through your creative imaginations. In these daily workshops, you will explore a new genre (fancy word for “writing form”) by reading, writing, and sharing your own original work with a small group of fellow writers. The goal is to grow a community for you even though it may feel like we’re far apart right now.
How will this work? Great question! Classes will meet over Zoom, an app that allows you to video conference with your workshop group in real time. Students will receive the links to each day's Zoom session and click on it to join the class. In addition, each student will also receive access to a Google Drive folder, where they will upload their work for instructor feedback and communication. Access to Google Drive and Zoom will be necessary in order to participate.
What will the week look like?
- Once you register, you will receive an email from Badgerdog with instructions linking you to your workshop's Google Drive folder and your Zoom meeting link.
- Students will have a small prework assignment (located in the workshop folder) to complete before their first sharing session on Monday.
- Sharing sessions take place at the designated time listed on Sawyer. Each sharing session will last one hour.
- At the end of sharing session, your teaching artist will send you materials to guide you through the writing process.
- After spending some time exploring those materials, you'll get to write your own original piece. This might be a poem. It might be a short story, a letter, or a micro-play.
- How you create your piece will be up to you! You'll write this piece and keep it in your writing folder in your Google Drive.
- The next day, you'll be invited to share what you wrote with your workshop. You'll get to listen to your workshop group, share your ideas and opinions, give feedback on writing, and celebrate your creations together.
- Read. Write. Share. Repeat!
Did you know that the famous playwright William Shakespeare wrote some of his most genius plays while stuck at home under quarantine? It’s true! Here at Badgerdog, we believe that writing has the power to transport us anywhere. Writing is its own type of magic! We can’t wait to see what magic you’ll create with us in these online workshops.
- Workshops are capped at 10 students maximum.
- The time listed on this registration page will be the time of your one-hour “sharing session” on Zoom.
- Once your registration is complete, you will receive an email from The Library Foundation’s programs manager, Kate Kelly, with more information about your specific workshop.
- Students can register for daily drop-in programming ($25/day) or for the full week ($100/week)
- Scholarships will be awarded on an ongoing basis in order to help families impacted financially by the COVID-19 crisis. To apply for a scholarship, please complete this form.