Austin Youth Poet Laureate Program
The Library Foundation is excited to announce the 2022 Austin Youth Poet Laureate is Zachary Suri!
Zachary, 17, is a student at Liberal Arts and Science Academy High School, where he serves on the Diversity Council and Poetry Club. Outside of school, Zachary is the co-host and co-producer of the podcast, This is Democracy, where he reads original poems inspired by current events.
We are also pleased to announce the five 2022 Austin Youth Poet Laureate finalists:
Josie Bednar, 13 (LASA High School)
Astrid Gothard, 15 (LASA High School)
Margot Gothard, 13 (Long-View Micro School)
Isabelle Morgan, 16 (Morgan Homeschooling)
Mina Talebi, 14 (Headwaters Middle School)
ABOUT THE AUSTIN YOUTH POET LAUREATE PROGRAM
The Austin Youth Poet Laureate program aims to identify and uplift young writers and leaders who are committed to civic & community engagement, poetry & performance, human relations, diversity, social justice and education across Austin.
The Austin Youth Poet Laureate is a joint program of the Library Foundation and the National Youth Poet Laureate Program led by Urban Word, with additional support from the Austin Public Library and Host Publications.
- Serve as a representative for youth voice and poetry in Austin
- Be celebrated with a celebration in the fall and participate in other readings and performances across the city
- Be published in the National Youth Poet Laureate anthology
- Be eligible to compete in the regional and national Youth Poet Laureate competitions and all national Youth Poet Laureate programming with other youth across the country
- Have the opportunity to publish a chapbook through local press Host Publications
Previous Austin Youth Poet Laureate and Finalists
2021: Ireland Griffin. Finalists: Caroline Boyle, Elijah Kleinman, Keana Saberi, Zachary Suri, Ren Koppel Torres.